Subject: Re: [Leica] Photog visit to Chicago
From: "Roger L. Bunting" <rlbunting@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 18:51:01 -0500

BeeLain and Ron,

Lisle is about 35 miles west of Chicago - I live in the next community
to the west, Naperville. The communities out our way support a lot of
commuter traffic to the "City"/Chicago. I enjoy going into the city and
walking around. The section called the "loop" is very accessible and
there is no problem going on a photo shoot during the day. Lisle is just
off I88 a tollway that hooks up with the Eisenhower Expressway (I290)
into the city. The Eisenhower becomes Congress expressway just after you
cross the Chicago river, right after going under a building (the post
office) that spans the highway. The Congress takes you under the
elevated train (the train is what defines the loop). So you are there.
If you continue straight ahead, after going under the train, you hit
Michigan avenue - big main drag - and continuing ahead on Congress you
have to go right or left (on Balboa) but the lake is straight ahead.

If you hang a hard left after crossing Michigan avenue, you set your
self up for access to one of the segments of Grant Park underground
parking. You are near the loop, Art Institute, within walking distance
of the train station, Grant Park and even the Lake Front and lots more.
The undergound parking is a nominally per day fee and a bargain.

Another thing you might try is the train. In Lisle there is a main train
station - the Burlington line. The trains will take you to Union
Station, which is a photographic experience in itself. Just outside is
the Chicago river. The Sears Tower is just a couple of blocks away and
you are 5 minutes waking from the loop and the "eleveated trains".

Just outside the train station, you can catch a water taxi to "Michigan
Avenue at the River". The buildings along the river are spectacular
(IMHO). I've found that a 35mm lens works good on the river. In the
building canyons in the financial district like near the Chicago Board
of Trade, a 24mm is better.

After puttering around downtown (the loop) you might want to take a taxi
to upper Michigan avenue (Gucci, Saks, Tiffany's, etc) - and the water
tower of Chicago Fire fame. Another choice is Navy Pier that is built
out into Lake Michigan. This is a large historic pier and recently
rennovated to an amusement pier. It's a definite people place. The
ferris wheel view of the city is also wonderful, might want to do that
at night with a friend. From Navy Pier you can take water transportation
back to the train - to Lisle.

You might consider an evening lake cruise. The night skyline is very
attractive. There is also good high altitude photo opps from the top of
the Sears Tower or the John Handcock building.

Anyway, enjoy.... Summer in Chicago is many things but I've never found
them disappointing. Stick a big water bottle in your camera bag or back
pack. The city is a bustling place and to the newcomer, where to grab
that drink of water is not obvious.

Regards,

Roger

There are great tours. Check ahead, the Chicago Architectural Society
has great tours if you are interested in the very diverse architectrue
of Chicago.