Subject: Re: [Leica] Have High Hopes for Heliar
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:18:21 EDT

DT, I have been using the Heliar since the beginning of-99 and each time I
process film shot with it, I am impressed. There are a couple of 'caveats" to
consider, using it on a M6 tends to give you underexposed foreground — the
angle of view can severely fool the meter. The finder takes in about 93% of
the view so you get more than you see (if you are shooting slides it is
probably within the slide mount tolerances). The front element is quite
exposed, so beware of sharp objects in camerabags etc. It is a lightweight
lens and the alloy in the barrel is prone to dings and dents (mine went from
Mint to Exc-in about a week)! I have found that optimum aperture is around f8
- - f11, at 4,5 it shows vignetting and at f16 there is a beginning of
diffraction that gets quite visible at f22. None of these 'flaws" are really
Heliar exclusives, it is more a function of the rather extreme focal length.
 Word of advice, do NOT sell the 21 Asph. I avoid selling any Leica lenses,
it does stop one from the typical symptoms of deep regret. Once you have it,
it is paid for and that pain is gone, just hold on to it. The 15/4,5 does not
replace the 21, but it does supplement it nicely. Remember the rule: Thou
cannot have too many Leica lenses!".
Take a walk on the wide side!
Tom A