Subject: RE: [Leica] Have High Hopes for Heliar
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:21:20 -0400

 It's such a schnozz on the M6, though, that I
don't regularly carry it.

DT
I do do a lot of available darkness stuff, and lust after the 75, which I've
only once had an opportunity to play with. But I tend to judge the size and
weight of the Leica lenses in comparison to Nikon and Canon lenses of the
same F stop and focal length, and that makes even the Leica tanks small by
comparison...if you start comparing a 35 Summilux ASPH to a 35 chron
pre-ASPH, or even a pre-ASPH Summilux, you'll go nuts...and a 75 Summilux
and a tele-elmarit? Hopeless. On the other hand, a 75 1.4 of Leica
glass?....Wow....

And to be perfectly honest, I'm happier using my battered old Nikon F and
105 2.5 than I am my 90 Summicron...(For God's sake don't tell Dr. Black
Tape!) By the time I get up to that length, I like the magnification of the
reflex, and since I'm not making chromes or 106x225 blow-ups, the 105 2.5
Nikor, and 180 2.8 ED are just fine, thank you very much. Would I take an
R6.2 and 90 and 180 Leica R lenses if they were given to me? Of course. But
I don't think they're going to be, so what was good enough for virtually
everyone whose work is preserved in Requium is good enough for me..

B. D.