Subject: Re: [Leica] HCB method
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 01:28:31 -0400

Carlos Blanco wrote:

> Some days ago, while I was teaching, one of my pupils asked me about the way
> HCB has taken "Dehors la gare de St Lazare". I gave him my suppositions,
> based on the observation of HCB work, on his brief comments and on the kind
> of equipment he used at that time. I would like to know your opinions
> basically on two subjects:
> 1-how he took that photo
> 2-I assumed the photo was not prepared in the meaning of telling the guy to
> jump and so on. But waht about those in which two old fat black-dressed
> greek women passed by under a balcony with two statues? And the rest?
>
> thank you for your opinions and knowledge
>
> carlos

I seem to recall that he did one of two approaches. Either he would see
a situation or setting and set up waiting for the final element. For
example, the bicyclist at Hyere whizzing past the curved stairway.

Or he would wander along with camera at the ready, delicately concealed
in his hands on his chest, and bring it to his eye for the brief instant
of completing the awareness through the action of recording it on film.
The photo of Barrio Chino, with the market vendor sleeping with the
drawing scribbled on the wall seems to illustrate this instant reaction
and awareness.

I think good Leica street technique requires constantly monitoring your
exposures as you wander but not putting the camera to your eye until
you're absolutely ready. That way the camera is always set properly for
the correct exposure. The same goes for disance and focus.

I read where he was great at being invisible. "The Artless Art"
published by Bullfinch Press has wonderful writing about his approach.

Anyway, hope this helps.

- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/