Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL Question in Jobo
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:09:16 -0700

"Robert G. Stevens" wrote:

> Mark:
>
> I just follow the suggestions of the manufacturer.  I did try the 100ml +
> 100ml water for some P3200 pushed to 1600 and found the negatives thin.
> Upon investigation, I probably needed more of the stock developer.  With
> later rolls, I just used it straight.  The thought of using it diluted and
> it getting exhausted was what made me decide it was not worth the risk.
> Now that I have some larger Jobo tanks, I may try some 1:1 with the 140ml
> per roll of stock diluted with 140ml of water.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert
>
><snip>
IF the  P3200 shot at (I won't say pulled) 1600 were thin why not just
give it more time?
Also I think even overdeveloped the Xtol has a less meatier look in my
Negs than I got with other developers especially my most recent:
Rodinal. The highlights don't seem to block up no matter what. That had
made some of my Negs seem thin but print on normal contrasts.
I had the same qualms about dilution you did but gradually got over them
with help from the Anshell/Troop book and people on this list. It
exhausts faster with dilution but just develop it longer and it works
perfectly. More than perfectly it has really rocked my world.
But there are Jobo considerations I am not experienced with as I use a
metal 2 liter tank most often.
Mark Rabiner