Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL Question in Jobo
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:32:11 -0300

Ken:

Jobo and xtol work great, but with some dilutions, the tanks will not hold
enough developer to do the film capacity of the tank.  Jobo has a page on
it, and if you read it carefully, it says you need 200ml of full strength
developer per roll.  They also go on to say that as little as 140ml per
roll works with some Kodak films.

http://www.jobo-usa.com/jobofoto/bulletins/xtol.htm

What this means is with 1:3 dilution, to do one film, you should add at
least 560ml of diluted solution, or 600ml if you use the 200ml per film
figure.  This is too much solution for the jobo tanks, where a one reel
tank take 140ml, a two reel 260ml, and a three reel tank combo taking
470ml.  I guess you could do one roll in the four reel tank that takes
590ml.  As you see, dilutions and Jobo's can be complicated.  Using an
eight reel tank, you may be able to develop two rolls of film!  This is all
fine, if you have the larger tanks, but limiting if all you have is the
260ml, two roll tank.

I tend to use Xtol undiluted with the jobo.  I have since gotten the larger
tanks and may try it 1:1.

Regards,

Robert