Subject: Re: [Leica] wich enlarger optic is the best, focotar or elmar?
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 23:46:55 +1000

Hi,

Here is what I know about the Elmar and Focotar enlarging lenses:

The original Leitz lens used in Leitz enlargers , projectors and reproductive
devices was the well known 50mm F3.5 Elmar lens in the collapsible mount. This,
I presume, is the reason, why the Leitz and most non Leitz enlargers use the
Leica 39mm thread.

Then in 1933 the first Leitz lens in a specific enlarging mount appeared. This
was again an Elmar 50mm f3.5.. The case looked something like an extension tube
with a lens fitted in to it.
The diaphragm had click stops with relative exposure markings. the biggest
opening was marked 1, then 2,3,4,6 and finally 10. The lens was available in
either Corm or Nickel,
hard to say which, or in black enamel. The code name was "CAROB".

Then in 1949, a new model appeared. This looked very much like the later
Focotar.
It had a straight barrel, about an inch long, with the diaphragm setting ring
further front.
It now had the normal f-stop openings in geometrical sequence. f3.5, 4, 5.6 to
f16.
It was of course coated. It was black enamel but the lens barrel was aluminium.
This made it very light. It was also a good looking lens. The code name was
"DOOIT"
If it was to be used on the Focotar 1c enlarger, a small extension ring needed
to be used. It had the code name DOORX.

At the same time, another similar lens in the same mount, also an Elmar 50mm
f3.5 was
available. This was called a Repro-Elmar Lens. I supposed it was intended for
the various Leitz Repro gadgets available then. However I  have used it in my
enlarger, and it works well. It's code name was DOOGS.

This was the last of the 50mm of the special Elmars I know of.  Later on, some
Elmar enlarging lenses with a focal length of 90 and 100mm where produced, but
no more 50mm.

The 50mm focal length was then taken over in 1953  by the much better f4.5
Focotar.  The lens mount was black enamelt brass. It felt a lot heavier. This
lens was equally good for enlarging and reproduction. It is an excellent lens.
It also uses the DOORX extension ring, when used in the enlarger. In the
reproductive devices, like the Reprovit II, it is used without the ring. The
code name was DOOCQ.  IT was also intended to be used with the Leitz Bellows II
or Bellows-R, and had a special adapter ring for the Visioflex II and III.

The Focotar f4.5 was, in 1975, superseded by the slightly faster Focotar-2 f4.
I suppose it is an even better lens, but I don't know much about it. Maybe Marc
Small can help.

The Elmar enlarging lenses where of course all of the same lens layout. Similar
to the Tessar. The Focotars I believe are of a  symmetrical design (Gauss) I
don't know how many elements they have.

Horst Schmidt