Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: battery covers
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:59:09 -0700

Dave Richards wrote:

> Why not simply put a piece of black tape over the non-slotted cover to keep
> it from loosening?
>
> Dave
>
> >I think you missed the point. A few of us have had battery covers loosen
> >over time. Some (Mark) lost his while on a trip in the middle of nowhere
> >(Kansas/Missouri.) To avoid future problems in the field, I ordered a
> >replacement cover (as did a few others) and much to my surprise, they gave
> >me the option of a cover with, or without a slot. I chose the slot. Others
> >didn't. The slot is so you can tighten it a bit tighter, or loosen it if it
> >is stuck. Simple concept.
> >
> >So there isn't much mystery in this "cover" thread. Simply replacements
> >and/or avoiding future field problems.
> >
> >But I guess one can Ad-Lib if one so wishes.
> >
> >Jim
><snip>
> >>DT
For me one third of the (not very big) problem is loosening despite my
own disaster story.
Two thirds of the problem is having a hard time getting the thing off.
I thought of the black tape idea but my new one seems on their well
enough and the black tape (I think I tried it) doesn't smooth down well
enough.. And I'm not "helping" out with an application of Silicon. I'll
be getting the slotted one. I'm hoping an American Quarter works well
with it but I'd settle for a Nickel. I'd settle for a penny. A dime is OK!
Mark Rabiner