Subject: [Leica] The 0.85 conversion (yet again)
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:06 +0100 (BST)

Long ago and far away, we discussed the possibility of converting the M6
'classic' 0.72 to a 0.85 viewfinder.

Now at the time there seemed to be lots of confusion. I've been told that
it was possible, but Leica wouldn't allow it as it was worried about
people 'counterfeiting' M6Js (never did quite see the logic in that, but
never mind).

I've also been told it is possible, but that Leica wouldn't release the
parts for other reasons not specified.

Finally I was told it was easy, and could be done by any competent
repairer.

Does anyone have the facts about this conversion now? As the M6 'Classic'
0.85 seems to be heading into 'don't even think about using them'
territory, the possibility of conversion seems ever more appealing.

Of course they wouldn't be in as much demand if Leica hadn't reversed the
shutter dial with the TTL model. Trying to use a 'classic' and a TTL
alongside each other is a recipe for madness IME.

David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk