Subject: Re: [Leica]M6 At The Track
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 14:34:56 -0400

SNIP --

Bill O'Connell wrote:

I spent the day at a race track in Summit Point WV today.  I brought my
 M6/noct and F100/80-200 2.8.

SNIP --

Bill,

My choice at Summit Point Raceway for the M (during the day and for
track shots) would be the much lighter f/2.8 90mm Elmarit-M (0.410 kg)
or even better the Tele-Elmarit (.225 kg) over the Noctilux (0.630 kg.)

Turn 8 (near the BMW Corral) with a 90mm is good for front 3/4 shots
(morning) and full pans (all day) as the car navigates that corner.  The
f/2.8 100 APO Macro Elmarit-R (0.760 Kg) and the earlier Macro-Elmar f/4
100mm (.530 kg) also works that turn very nicely.  Most other parts of
the track, even from the corner worker's towers, really demand a longer
lens than a 90mm or 100mm. Of course, if you were instructing, that does
not allow you to move around off of the track and from the paddock that
much.  Whose track event was it, as neither PCA-Potomac or BMW-National
Capital Chapter were scheduled to use the track?

Glad you had a good day of shooting, it would be pretty grey up at
Summit Point today (but a better day for the Noctilux).

Best Regards,

Bill Caldwell
Northern Virginia (grey and showers)