Subject: Re: [Leica] Dev question on B&W photos from Malaysia
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 07:22:45 +0200

Hi Bee Lian and welcome back,

When I first tried TMZ I developed it in T-Max developer; after all, Kodak
marketed it as THE developer to use with T-Max films. The results were
terrible: thin, contrasty negatives. Today I  shoot a lot of Delta3200,
rating it at 1250 and developing in XTOL stock for 7 minutes at 20°C. The
results are excellent. Since TMZ and Delta3200 are very similar films, I
would encourage you to stick with XTOL as well, but prolong the development
time. I find that in general, the development times given by manufacturers
for these fast films are too short (or put another way, the EIs are too
´optimistic`). A good principle is to develop using the time for the next
higher EI in the manufacturer's chart than the EI you actually exposed the
film at.

Nathan

Ron and BeeLian Miller wrote:

> Still recall the great advice from you guys on trying Xtol but am
> venturing to try Tmax Developer on a handful of TMZ 3200 film.  TMZ with
> Xtol appeared rather thin or I should have developed longer than stated
> on the Kodak web-chart.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium