Subject: Re: [Leica] (Off Topic) Nad 522 Vs Nad 524 CD Player
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 18:48:27 -0400

At 01:08 -0400 16/06/99, Javier Perez wrote:

>Is a Nad 522 CD player with a 20 bit Burr Brown DAC,
>chip or board upgradable to the 24 bit Burr Brown DAC found in the 524?
>I don't mind a little soldering.

	1/ Get the 24 bit 524, pay the price and enjoy the thing.
	Figure out the price per day on a 5 year product life:
	pennies a day if you ask me. Get more obvious for 10 years.
	20 to 24 bits increase represents a HUGE improvement
	and your source will justify your 'next step' electronics
	and loudspeakers.
	Don't make it so complicated...

	2/ Also consider the Marantz CD67 S.E.  [ S.E. is very
	important here]. This is the one considered the "steal"
	presently. Unless you already are into NAD
	and matching cosmetics are a high priority.

	3/ Then, you should grant yourself an audition:
	if YOU don't find a difference, why pay for 24 bit
	resolution? OR, see if it has special features like
	a Favorite Track or Program memory for you to store
	your idea of the better tunes or 'mix' on a given CD,
	or to eliminate the ones you can't stand.
	Get a pile of CDs instead, IF 20 bit takes you there
	and you aren't into practical features or
	high quality audio design.
	NEVER buy audio gear on hearsay !!!
	Of all things . . .

	A LEICA is ONLY another camera with a lens,
	is it not ? Get the idea... ?
	Sometimes, it pays to pay the price.

	Grab the best one you can. Take my many years'
	experience as real life audio store manager and advice.
	Life is so short...

	Andre Jean Quintal

   "Of course, everybody knows pigs rule this World."

		Miss Piggy, in a private interview
		leading to her authorized life story.