Subject: [Leica] Re: MLU
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 99 06:24:32 +1000

Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru> wrote:

>> having to pre-release the mirror for each shot (on my R6.2) is a major
>> pain.
>
>Why's that? I got one of those neato screw-in buttons for the MLU and it
>works as a charm for me (the whole MLU'd camera, I mean).

Better still, I use a large straightened-out paper clip.
Way cheaper and less chance of knocking the camera when
doing the pre-release.  Just poke the end of the clip
into the hole and press lightly - works every time.

(Thanks to Michael Gardner <mikeg@neca.com> for the tip!)

My point here was not about the difficulty of doing one
pre-release, but the hassle of having to do them for
each shot in a sequence.  With the F2A, just lock up
the mirror and it stays locked up for the whole roll
if you want it.

>> do macro work
>> (100mm Apo Elmarit) and my main working lens is the 16mm Elmarit
>
>Fisheye for main working lens?? I'm intrigued.

Nothing to it.  I work in virtual reality imaging and I have
to capture the maximum amount of image per shot.  The 16mm
fisheye, when used in portrait format, gives me 120-degrees vertical
and 91 degrees horizontal.  Taking 8 shots in horizontal sequence,
I end up with enough images with enough overlap so I can then
'stitch' them into a seamless 120-degree x 360-degree whole.

Super-super wide angle.  ;^)

BTW, I went Leica a year ago (dumping my Nikon gear) just
so I could use this lens!  There aren't too many fisheyes
out there which you can point straight into the sun with
hardly any flaring.  Not bad for a 25-year old design!

>Is there a place on the web where we can see the results of you[r ...] work?

<http://www.nemeng.com/vr>

I also have a stills page at:

<http://www.nemeng.com/photo>

... featuring older, pre-VR work.  Currently I have up
(Nikon) shots from my ex-eastern bloc visit in 1991-2.

Finally, I have up an equipment page where I have shots and
blurbs about the kinds of cameras, mounts and sound gear I
typically use.

<http://www.nemeng.com/equipment>

>You're a team, right?

No.  I am a one-man outfit based in the Blue Mountains
outside Sydney.

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
www.nemeng.com