Subject: [Leica] 50mm Summicron-M is a pretty awesome lens
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 23:26:27 -0300

I have been using a 50mm Summicron lately for some happy snaps ,as Ted
would call them, and I am very impressed with the quality of the pictures.
They have a smoothness to them which is very pleasing.  My lens is a
Canadian Made lens (ser 302201x), I think of the same formula as the latest
Summicron .  I have taken a few baby pictures with it at around F2 or so
and find the results very pleasing.  A recent picture of our five month old
twenty pound (9 kg) baby is at the link below.

http://home.iSTAR.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/Gordon/Gordon-jun15-99.jpg

The top two pictures on this page were with the 50mm Summicron and AGFA
Potra 160 print film.  A nice lower contrast film that works great with
Leica lenses.  The family portrait of me, Gordon, my Mother, and
Grandmother were on this film as well using the R8, some studio flashes and
the 60mm Macro on an R8.  Metering was done with the built in flash meter
and a gray card.  The pictures on the wall behind us are from my trip to
Cuba, with my wife at a pool table and an old lady smoking a cigar.  Some
day I will post this image to my web site.  All my prints of it are 11x14
and my flatbed scanner will not handle that large.  The pictures of the
Baptism itself were taken by a friend using a Nikon with fill flash.  The
Nikon lenses just don't have the punch of the Leica M lenses.

http://home.iSTAR.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/Gordon/Baptism-3.jpg

Regards,

Robert