Subject: Re: [Leica] Forties Film in metal canisters, Nitrate
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:39:35 -0700

My father in law had about 20 rolls of film in metal canisters which he
had apparently processed himself. Mainly panatomic and plus x from the
late forties early fifties. But at least two rolls that said "Nitrate"
on them.
I wound these extreamly tightly by now wound film onto metal reels and
washed them, Re rapid fixed with no hardener them and washed them some
more. Hung them up to dry where they became manegable and stuffed them
into plastic sleeves to be contacted. Some of the little snippet's of the
Nitrate film are still in my garbage can as I type. My question is:
Is my basement on fire now as I type or will I be warned by the sound of
an explosion.
I assume they would only be dangerous in the form of a severely dried
out movie reel.  But I really don't know and don't want to be sitting on
a time bomb.
Mark Rabiner