Subject: Re: [Leica] Summarit/Summilux performance
From: "N.S. Ng" <nsnga@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:16:05 +0800

Hello,

When I started learning photography, I used a M3 with a Summarit. That was
almost 30 years ago, when I was about 14. This lens tends to be soft wide
open. It also has low contrast and tends to flare as well. I still
remembered using this lens at least 2.8 and only occassionally at 2.0. I did
use the lens at 1.5, but always found it to be too soft and low in contrast
for my liking.  Bear in mind the lens I have was from the 50's and was based
on the older Xenon from the 40's. Years later when I bought my first R
camera with a 50 Summicron, I stopped using this lens altogether.

Later when I decided to expand my M system with a M6 and 35 Summicron, I
decided to compare the Summicron (last version non-Asph) and the Summarit.
The Summicron won by a wide margin. I decided to buy the 35 Summilux Asph.
as well. The performance at 1.4 is outstanding. If you intend to use a 35 at
1.4, this is the lens to buy.

Good Luck on your choice.

Regards,
N.S. Ng