Subject: [Leica] Tri-Elmar and Depth of Field marks
From: Michael Chmilar <chmilar@mminternet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 12:03:39 -0700

I have recently been considering replacing my old 35mm Summaron f/3.5
with the new Tri-Elmar. This, with my other lenses, would give me a good
range of focal lengths: 21, 28-35-50, 90.

However, on closer inspection, I noticed that the Tri-Elmar does not have
the familiar Depth of Field markers around the focus indicator. This is
common amongst zoom lenses that use a ring for zooming.

When I am shooting outdoors in sunlight, I often set my aperture, and
then crank the infinity mark over to the the DOF mark for that aperture.
Then I don't need to bother focusing, and I know I am getting the
maximum depth of field for the circumstances.

Is there any simple way of retaining this capability when the lens is
missing the DOF marks? Is there a simple "compute in your head"
formula (I am only interested in where to position the infinity mark)?

Mike

- --
Michael Chmilar
chmilar@acm.org