Subject: [Leica] Re: Let's move on ?
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 16:55:46 -0700

Sorry, Jim. This is one time I am not in league with you. These
folk have every right to complain about the S/N ratio. They, like
many others, thought they subscribed to a *dedicated* mailing list.

Too many are making this list their personal playground. There
are indeed other fora that would be proper for the incessant OT
stuff that is overplayed to the hilt here.

This group is no more intelligent than those who use other
marques. To subscribe to that thesis and believe that it is a love
of Leica that gives them "a lot to talk about" is pure self-
aggrandizement.

Check out other photographic related lists. Hasselblad and Rollei
are easily accessible, Rollei through this same server. There, Marc
has the control, as listowner, to see that OT stuff doesn't get out
of hand. True, they are both smaller lists, but that is not the
governing factor. Suppression of 'free speech' is not germane
either. It's merely a matter of the listowner having a mission and
sticking to it. Dan's work with the Hassy list is likewise
commendable.

If Brian is happy with the list as it is, then he should restate its
agenda. "General interest discussions with a bias toward
photography and a mild preference toward Leica equipment"
might cover it.

Though I haven't read it for awhile, even the EOS List used to stay
in the pool far better than does this list. OT stuff, will, like you
know what, happen, but it shouldn't overwhelm the list as it has
here for a long time.

Me? I'd opt for a stronger, if smaller and more aglomerated, list
anytime vs. a bigger group running out of control most of the
time. But, I've always been an elitist.  :^)

Even Peter's supposed Leica bashing was far more on topic than
what's been going down here recently. I recall you wondering
outloud why he bothered to subscribe with the strong implication
that he shouldn't even be here.

I strongly support the "let's move on" proposal.

On 12 Jun 99, Jim Brick wrote, at least in part:

> Sitting back and complaining that OTHER people are talking about
> un-interesting stuff is more of an annoyance than the other conversation
> itself. At least the somewhat off topic threads come and go and always
> relate in various ways to Leicas. Complaining about the conversations does
> NOT relate to Leicas. It relates to complaining.
>
> A group of, I suppose, upper class intelligent folks, have a lot to talk
> about. And it stems from the love of Leica, and of course, related
> passions. This is what makes this list special. Brian is not a moderating
> monger. He realizes that in the long run, the amount of Leica related
> photographic data that passes through the electronic "ether" is
> substantial. And to keep the 800 or so Leica friends limited to a very
> narrow conversation, would basically kill the LUG.

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

    When a public offical accepts a gift,