Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M advice wanted
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 19:28:35 -0400

InfinityDT@aol.com wrote:

> I'm planning to spend a (too-)short time in Europe soon, all the time in
> cities, on foot and on busses, trams, trains etc.  I want to take my Leica M
> outfit because it is more compact than my reflex outfit...

SNIP

  Any LUGers who shoot a lot of reversal film with an M system can help
me out here?

> Also, another quandary I'm in is: I want to take no more than 4 lenses,
> perhaps even 3. I'm a long-time 50mm kind of guy, so that's in the bag for
> sure.  Question is,  for European urban-type photography, which 2 or 3 other
> M lenses would you consider "essential" choosing from 21 ASPH, 28, 35
> Summicron ASPH, 90 Elmarit and 135 APO-Telyt.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> D.T. (which is what everyone calls me)

D.T.,

Reputations have been built on Leica Ms and reversal film. Look at
William Albert Allard's work in Nat'l Geographic for example:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/media/photography/allard/index.html

What really blows me away with his work is how he uses color and lets it
shift all over the place. I do commercial work and I'm always obsessing
about color criticality. I wish I could do what he does and have my
clients accept it.

Or check out Nina Berman's work on Times Square where she comments on
her camera of choice: "My Times Square work is quiet, and I don’t use a
flash. I feel very strongly about not wanting to bring any other light
into the place. I shoot with a Leica M6, and that helps."
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/berman/qanda.html

Anyway, when I travel abroad I've learned two things. If I take too many
lenses I get caught up in figuring which lens to use instead of just
making photos. I've learned to make the lens fit the scenario. That
being said, I bring a 21 Elmarit, a 35 Summicron which I almost always
have mounted on the M6 on my chest, a 50mm Summilux for when I want to
deal with low light. This I keep mounted on my M3 for focusing accuracy.
I just bought a 75 Summilux (whoopee) which I plan to bring as my long
lens for portraiture. Odds are I'll probably end up using the 35
Summicron as I usually do most of the time.

Have a great time.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/