Subject: Re: [Leica] On TOPIC 180 Summicron + 2x versu 280 2.8 + 1.4x
From: Michael Gardner <mikeg@neca.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 17:49:22 -0400

Robert G. Stevens wrote:

> This evening I went to take pictures at a soccer (football) game using both
> the 280 APO 2.8 and the 180 APO Summicron.  I came to the conclusion that
> the 180 with the APO 2x creates just as fine an image as the 280 APO 2.8
> plus 1.4x.  It makes me think whether it is worth having both
> lenses.--(snipped)------So to get the LUG back on topic, what would you do in
> my case, keep both lenses  or sell one?  I realize that the 280 + 2x makes a
> 560 F5.6, but I also have a 400 2.8 which will give me a 560 F4 with the 1.4x.

Robert,Hard to make a comparison based on your web pictures, which although
excellent, are still just *your* scans on *my* monitor: both look equally good.
How about under a loupe?  The most important question tho, is how often do you
need something around 300 mm?  Do you need the 280 to cover this focal length?
Maybe what you don't need is the 2X?
Mike Gardner