Subject: Re: [Leica] Serious question about fast lenses
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 16:10:50 -0500

>My problem is the Canon IS lenses. If this really works, then why do we
>need fast lenses? I've seen some graphs which report a resolution-loss
>when the IS is on, but does that really show versus a "normal" lens
>which is all shaky at slow shutter times?

Bernard,

While the new Canon IS technology may help with image stablization and
camera shake due to camera movement it does NOTHING to stop the action of
you subject.  Therefore if you are shooting someone running and want no
blur than you should shoot around 1/500 second.  If that means shooting
1/500 @ f 2.8 on a 300 (still marginal for stopping movement) then having
an IS 300 f 4 will do you no good cause then you are shooting 1/250 @ 4
for correct exposure.  The IS will kill the camera shake but feet will
still be blured and if going across your plane of view you may have
blurred subjects as well.

So in other words you still need fast films/lenses to stop movement.  The
Leica Noctilux is an great fast lens.  I have heard the 75 1.4 & 35 1.4
ASPH are awesome.  On Canon the 24 1.4L is very hard to beat...perfect
companion for my Noctilux.

This does not make the IS just a gimick...I am now in lust for the new
400 2.8 IS as with a lens that long it don't take much movement to ruin
your photo.

HTH.

Best regards,
Harrison McClary