Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and Watches.
From: Javier Perez <japho@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 02:04:03 -0400

Howdy
As a chronic tinkerer I also get a kick out of fixing old watches.
According to the guys at alt.horology, who know tons more than me,
there are very few swiss  watch companys that still make their own
movements, In fact most are made by one of 2 major swiss movement
companys ETA and Valjoux The old Omega Speedmaster has a Valjoux
I think. The new automatic one has an ETA. (or is it the other
way around?) There are also companys that specialize in cases,
main springs, wheels, hair springs, pallets, dials etcetera. These
are all produced in standard sizes and calibers so chances are
the dial or pallet from your Renis or Oris or whatever can fit on
a  tissot or Urbita. It's kind of disenchanting until you consider that
most of these companys started out making their own movements
50 or 100 years ago and had to consolidate their mfg resources
in order to stay in business. Furthermore, imagine what fixing a watch
would cost if there were 10s of thousands of different types of say
balance wheels. For a watchmaker in Switzerland making watches is
sort of like building PCs Pick your form factor and functions then pick
your movement, have your dial made for you, with your name on it of course.
Now select a standard case style or if you are big, have one of the case companys
make your own custom design. Kinda fun actually. If only cameras were like that
to some extent.
    Hamilton still produces several mechanical watches including a Khaki automatic
and a chronograph The chrono is real neat. But the movement is Swiss. In fact I
think the company is now Swiss owned. According to what I've heard,
Rolex*, Zenith** and Patek are the only major companys that still make their own
movents.
* I think the early Daytonas had Valjoux movements.
** The Zenith Rainbow Chrono is pure art and tremendously undervalued.  Get one
even if it means trading away a Thambar. To see a picture go to the follwing URL

http://www.zenithwatches.ch/r02_4724.htm

whadayathink????

Is this a watch like it oughta be or what?

Keep your Daytonas
Gimme a Zenith.

IMHO: This is what the original speedmaster should have looked like.

One of these days I'll get around to buying one, Yep.

The Zenith goes well with an M4. For the the M3 though I'de prefer something smaller

like an old Seamaster 600. A cartier Tank watch for the IIIa and a Swatch for the
R4, 5, 6 ,7
The R8 requires a huge 70s style Seiko with a zillion functions while the SL-2 does
better with
an old Submariner no-date. Unless it's a 50th anniversary model in which case a date
function
submariner is preferred particularly when German lenses are used or when traveling
outside of Europe.

Why did God give me so many hobbies...............
What am I doing up at this hour?
Bedtime
Javier