Subject: [Leica] Shooting in Greece??
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:49:08 -0000

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:08:45 -0700 (PDT)

Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have teen told that that there are some rather
unusual rules if you carry a camera around in Greece.

>For example, I have heard that you can not take a
camera into a museum and some national monuments.

>I have also heard that you are charged a fee for
taking a camera into certain places.

>Also, are the people in Greece sensative to having
there picture taken in public places (i.e. street
shooting)?

Bill, I've been a regular vistor to Greece for vacations since the
late 1970s, and have never experienced any problem with using a camera
there.

I've taken pictures in most of the smaller museums, however the use of
flash or tripods is not permitted. (I think tripods are also banned at
ancient sites). At some of the larger museums, there is a charge for
using a camera - I think in most cases you simply buy an extra
admission ticket for the camera, and have that ticket pinned to your
shirt or camera strap.

I've never had a problem with using the camera in the street. In the
early/mid 1980s, I used to find a Polaroid SX-70 a great "ice
breaker" - in most cases the "victim" bore their photo away with
evident pleasure.

There is one problem you need to be aware of - no matter how much film
I take, I always end up having to buy more! Even when visting towns I
know well, I can still find more to photograph. Two years ago I used
up two cassettes just photogrphing doorways in the old part of
Rethymno in Crete.

Regards,

Doug Richardson