Subject: [Leica] The LL Bean of Cameras and Pens
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 18:49:29 -0400

Now, I've been thinking on this.  The closest ink-writing implement to the
Leica Camera must be the Cross pen, as it keeps on "keepin' on", without
quibble.  Its cost is commensurate with its capacity, and it works forever.
 As the Leica is not an elitist item, nor is the Cross Pen.  Both cost what
they must, and do what they should, and do so for ever, and the
manufacturers stand behind the warranties flawlessly.

Those who buy, say, "Mont Blanc" pens can only possibly be doing so from
snobbery -- for those of you who have never handled one of these, well, in
short, if you are of an age with me, you will recall those Number Eight
pencils they made you use in first grade, and that is how a Mont Blanc pen
feels to the sophisticated hand;  the other elitist writing implements are
similar.  If you have to buy your pens in a jewelry store, isn't there
something a bit off-base?  (I buy my Cross pens at the PX, and the refills
where-ever.  I buy my Rapidographs at a drafting shop, and the ink, too.)

Hmm.  For years, back when I was a gummit employee or in the military, a
lot of my pens had this mysterious "FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY" inscription upon
them.  Must be from the same gnomes who came up with this "Mont Blanc"
thingey:  mysterious and meaningless.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!