Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Rocket Science
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 21:05:26 +1000

Lucien wrote:

> "Otto J. Anshus" wrote:
>

> I also vote for the return of the separate lens hood on the
> following M-lenses:
> 50/2, 50/1,4 and 50/1.
>
> And not because I'm backward-looking or retrograde but
> because they work better as lens shades and offer a better protection.
>
> With a separate lens hood, you don't need an UV filter...
> ;-)
>
> Lucien

  I agree. The lens hoods are getting smaller and smaller. Also less effective.
Every lens should have the largest possible hood made just for it. To have a
combined lens hood for 35 and 50 mm means the hood is not fully effective. at
least not for the 50mm lens.
You are right, A separate proper lens hood eliminates the use of a protection
filter (UV)
it also eliminates most of the glare. I  sometimes use a cut down radiator type
hose as lens hood. If  the length is right for the focal length used, than this
is a very effective hood. It's also cheap.