Subject: Re: [Leica] #@$%ing fragile 24mm finder!
From: m037iu00@cwcom.net
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 09:58:42 +0100

Jeff Moore wrote:

> After much 21-versus-24 agonizing I finally popped for a shiny new 24mm M
> ASPH.

>  The top part of
> the  finder decided to leave the little hot-shoe foot behind, with a few
> projecting plastic pins. Are they really always this fragile?
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for the proper kind of glue to get it
> patched back together?
>
> Goggles?  Do I hear goggles?  Who's TTAbrahams's chum, Mueller?  Lessee...
> 35 is to 24 as 50 is to 35?  Are the goggles based on hostorical 35mm-on-50mm
> goggles, or are they fabricated anew?
>  -Jeff <jbm@oven.com>

 ============================
Jeff,
I  believe the finders are that fragile, I have had my 21mm fider foot replaced
with an aluminium one off another accessory, old clapped out M-meters are
especially good as a source of (Leica) quality feet. Araldite was used on my
conversion - hasn't broken yet.

Reinhold Mueller is Tom's  mechanical 'guru'. He uses goggles from the later 35mm
M3 lenses, not new ones made up. These do affect the r/f  so the proviso is that
the focussing only works at infinity! To find out the focal length multiply the
original by 0.7.
E.g. 50 x 0.7 = 35
=> 35 x 0.7 = 24.5, 'good enough for jazz' as one might say.

For a large amount of money you could try to have the cam reground to suit the new
goggles, this would be a very complex, demanding and precise task, I'm sure
Reinhold could advise.
He's at 150 Laird Drive, Suite 304,
Toronto, Canada, M4G 3V7
Tel: 416 467 6992