Subject: [Leica] #@$%ing fragile 24mm finder!
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@jbm.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 02:54:06 -0400

After much 21-versus-24 agonizing I finally popped for a shiny new 24mm M
ASPH.  Well, shiny black.  Took a couple of rolls, hadn't even gotten them
back, working on the third... what's that black plastic stump in the
hot-shoe?

I'd been keeping the finder on the camera when the lens was mounted, even when
in the bag (what, I'm going to keep it in its little black leather jewel case
and mount/unmount it every time the camera breathes fresh air?).  The bag
wasn't subjected to any greater shock or stress than my cameras have put up
with on any average working day of the past decade or two.  The top part of
the  finder decided to leave the little hot-shoe foot behind, with a few
projecting plastic pins.

Are they really always this fragile?

Does anyone have a recommendation for the proper kind of glue to get it
patched back together?  (Actually, it *might* be a feature that none of the
plastic actually broke, just some presumably-glue joint;  would glue which
truly welds the plastic parts be a good thing or bad?)

Oh, yeah, I've seen some of the pictures now.  Snappy detail in the corners
where the Russar I've been using got kind of swimmy, straight lines still stay
pretty darned straight...  I suspect that the lens itself is a Good Thing.

When you can tell what'll be framed.

Goggles?  Do I hear goggles?  Who's TTAbrahams's chum, Mueller?  Lessee...
35 is to 24 as 50 is to 35?  Are the goggles based on hostorical 35mm-on-50mm
goggles, or are they fabricated anew?

H'mm.

 -Jeff <jbm@oven.com>