Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: [Leica] Canon really has AF figured o ut...BLASHPEMY? Or it i s?
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 10:47:09 +0400

Bill O'Connell wrote:

> Bernard,
>    A trip through the factory is like touring something from the 18
> hundreds.  It is a wonderful experiance, especially if your a car guy
> (or guyette).  What they don't buy assembled from others (motors,
> suspensions, etc) they make by hand (body panels, interior, etc).
> Have not toured the Leica factory to see if you are right.

In my country, many factories work like that, and touring them is indeed
a joy (to me). However, if I were actually in *need* of the article
produced, then seeing how it was made would not really increase my
sympathy for the company. After all, it was promised to us at a certain
date! A Morgan is not something anyone needs to get to work, so seeing
it assembled in some antediluvian way, may result in venerate patience,
while waiting for the thing for many years. But the R8 motor is a thing
many folks need to do their job, so it would seem appropriate not to
create a cult around it, but to get the thing on the market asap, even
if that would mean outsourcing it. After all, the R8 will be halfway
across its product lifecycle when its finally motorized. It pains me to
see my favorite camera maker blunder like this. It's not like the
discussion about electronic M7's and such; the M series are truly retro
and they sell. The R isn't that much of a retro camera and it *needs* a
motor drive. Nice to hear the rumors that Leica will throw in an extra 2
fps for the patient of mind. As to me, I won't be buying one. I wouldn't
have hesitated grabbing hold of one, if it would have hit the shelves at
the originally planned date, but now I've gotten used to that quiet
little winder that so nicely compliments the camera. I'm not an action
shooter, so there's no need for me to make my R8 (a miraculous tool),
any bigger. But I would have.... just for kicks, or out of curiosity as
to the auto-bracketing function. Don't get me wrong; I love Leica!

Too bad I'm not the T-shirt wearing sort of guy: I'd have one made with
Mark Rabiner's advertisement text "Who do you think you are, anyway? You
don't deserve it, you can't have it. Just forget it........ Leica" I
loved that one. Would Leica sue me for it?

Time for work....

Bernard