Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: typical E-bay bad deal
From: "KPETERS" <KPETERS@huntel.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 23:42:47 -0500

As an occasional seller on eBay I can tell you that I'm happy with results
of the auction.  For $22 I can take a one week ad out in our local (Omaha)
paper and reach perhaps a few hundred thousand people, only of which a
handful even have heard of Leica or Rolleiflex.  For a couple of bucks and
at most 1.X% of the total I can sell even 'cheap parts" on eBay and reach a
core crowd LOOKING for what I'm selling.  No contest.  eBay is here to stay,
and as long as people are making money, the parts keep circulating, not
ending up in some widow's back closet!  If some stupid SOB is willing to pay
more than fair market, he must really want the piece or have no clue to it's
value.  Either way the money goes back into the economy and keeps 'dealers'
looking for those esoteric Leica pieces.  I doubt that this will affect
major market value for most of what we collect.  If it makes your collection
more valuable, so be it.  The day we see R4's going for $1000+ is the day I
cash in!!!  The best deals I've found are at garage sales, particularly of
vets, etc who spent time in Europe and brought back interesting pieces....
Interesting topics?!  Kent
ps.  Bought my first Leica 10 years ago (age 20 then):  a fine RD LTM with
50mm lens and cloudy rangefinder.  Beastly looking thing but took good
pictures of which some are my favorites.  I have a 6 year old daughter who
is being groomed for such a camera!  ha!