Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: hey Jim, what do you think of M6 meter?
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:31:42 -0700

On 8 Jun 99, InfinityDT@aol.com wrote, at least in part:

> In a message dated 6/8/99 12:53:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> roger@beamon.org writes:
>
> << The thing that so many seem unable to grasp about all the fancy
>  schmancy auto exposure systems is that *every* exposure
>  resolves itself to a discrete shutter and aperture setting. It
>  matters little whether a multi-zone matrix and computer did it or
>  you did it. Again: one f-stop and one shutter setting make the
>  exposure. . >>
>
> I think it sort of does matter, because you have to know how a meter has
> biased it's "suggested exposure" in order to decide if and to what degree
> you need to override it.

<snip>

Sure, that's why I spoke to the issue of experience and
confidence in your M6. Sometimes my syntactical constructions,
though carefully crafted, completely fail to convey my thought.  :-)
The point that I was trying for is that after the fancy schmancy
system has done its thing, it arrives at a particular stop and
speed. That can be done by you exceeding well...with experience.

Pros aside, as the exception that they are, the lay owner of Leica
vs the lay owner of other high end offerings from other marques,
tends to know more about his craft. We're no brighter, just more
invested, big time. My generalization applies to shooters, mainly.
LHSA has, in their ranks, a number of collectors who know little
about doing photography, just as many shooters know little of the
collectable market.

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org