Subject: [Leica] M6 Rocket Science
From: "Otto J. Anshus" <otto@CS.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 20:08:35 -0400

LUG,

I am a Leica user. I got my first and so far only M6 in 1993/94. Some
thoughts:

The M6 is made with a finish that scratches easily making it simpler for
collectors and second hand dealers to classify the camera correctly.  Of
course, this is based on a sample of no less than two cameras, one silver
and one black. However, I have determined that this is statistically
significant for myself.

To make the concurrent use of several M6 bodies really interesting, Leica
Germany decided to make the direction of the shutter dial different on the
new M6 TTL as compared to the "Classic". Outstanding. Having shutter dials
going in opposite directions on otherwise identical bodies sharpens both the
mind and uplifts the spirit. Just imagine how interesting it will be when
car manufacturers understand the breakthrough this is by reversing the
effect of the steering wheel on select '00 models. I sure will buy one to
complement my 1993/94 model.

Of course, Nikon had to ahead and make a camera where the user can specify
the effect of turning a dial to the left or right. To be prepared for more
Leica Germany rocket science wizardry, I bought an F5 instead of an M6 TTL.
Now I can emulate future M6 bodies using the F5, no problem.

After many years of describing the importance of large and sturdy lens
shades, Leica Germany is using rocket science on the lens shades as well.
The result is beautifully small integrated lens shades that retracts
automatically at any time using a (proprietary, I am sure) gravity effect.
The result is like a "touch and go" lens shade. Now you see it, now you
don't.

Hope it helps.

Otto
otto@cs.princeton.edu
otto@cs.uit.no

PS:
I will keep my silver M6 until the M6 Field Model with the same armoring
Leica use on their binoculars becomes available. When the Field Model is
released I will sell my 1994 silver M6 or retire it to the coffee table.
Email me if you are interested (after the Field Model has been announced,
please).

PPS:
I will keep my black 35/1.4 ASPH (with its large and sturdy lens shade)
until one of us breaks, whichever happens first. I am selling my 1994
"silver" 50/2 (mint-) and 90/2 (mint--) because of the  beautiful integrated
sun shades. Optics are as new. Email me if you are interested.