Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon really has AF figured out...
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 01:35:41 -0400

Nathan Wajsman Wrote:
>SNIP
> after a year's shooting with M6 and M3 I no longer trust autofocus. I have
the
>top-of-the-line Pentax AF SLR but it sees very little use these days. I am
>considering buying into the Leica SLRs, but the models I am considering are
the
>R6 or 6.2 or even one of the Leicaflexes. But these are MY tastes; they
reflect
>the fact that my SLR shooting is usually with extreme wide angles or macro,
none
>of which really benefits from AF. If I were shooting white-water rafting I
would
>probably have a different view.

Perhaps this is a bit subjective, however as I have not spent any time with
a top-of-the-line autofocus (i.e. for photographic purposes) I am interested
in the "camera-shock" involved with AF to M6 to R 6.2 or 7, 8 or 4,or...
After much use of R, it's highly comforting to hear the M 'click' and all
the other leicalities that pertain.  It is also nice to then put down the M6
(..no, it's not so nice.) and get inside the lens of, specifically the
19mm-28mm R.
Although I'd throw the R stuff in a lake for the M's (keeping the 100 APO
and the  19/2.8 and for that matter everything else) it is certainly 'fresh'
to look into (again) the 19 Elm.  I've found it hard to take the thing off
my eye (yes, I drive through the 19 view...) - it's just more akin to the
way the eye really sees (see what I mean...)
Now for the AF AEvery - there is a reaction that is similar in essence, yet
qualitatively different - and of course proportionally it is a relation that
is hard to pin down .  I'd be interested to see LUGers' comments on the
differences here - of changing among the these three.  For example, I would
imagine that going from the Pentax mentioned above to an ...M4 could cause
whiplash, or something of the sort... I could try this myself, but I've been
forewarned by many (the postings themselves have frightened me so...)