Subject: Re: [Leica] archeival mounting
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 18:29:16 -0700

Roy Zartarian wrote:

> You don't mention the type of print paper you're mounting. While
> I'll generally fire up the drymount press for fiber-based b&w paper,
> I have (in a hurry and with a flat print) also successfully used
> adhesive backed tissue hinges in a window mat and do take that
> approach for the few color prints I mount. Lineco's mounting/hinging
> tissue is the stuff I use, and it should be readily found in a decent
> art supply store or by mail from places like Light Impressions or
> University Products in the US. This is truly archival because the
> process is reversible.
>
> I have a sample of - but have not yet tried - Crescent's "Acid-Free
> Perfect Mount Self-Adhesive Mounting Board." As the name suggests,
> one side is coated with an adhesive which allows repositioning.
> Pressure is applied for 12-24 hours to set the mount.
>
> You can also use a steam iron to drymount a print with a tissue such
> as Seal Color Mount. Ansel Adams described the procedure in "The
> Print." I've done it. It's a pain.
>
> Roy
>
> On  5 Jun 99 at 15:30, BMatth8686@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I'm tired of paying  $30 for print mounting and guess i'll do my
> > own.  Are any of the spray mount adhesives able to be used for the
> > long term ? (I don't want to get into dry mounting). So what do
> > y'all suggest ?
> >
> > Brian Matthews

I think in the serious print market there has been a movement away from
dry mounting and adhesive mounting. You use those corner see through
things like in old family albums and your print is sandwitched in the
cut mat and backing. I do prints up to 20 by 24 this way.  My prints
never go near a dry mount press. I'm pretty sure because of the
difficulty of getting them apart they are not considered archival as if
a stain appears it would need to be rewashed. So my dry mounting your
otherwise archival print you are lowering its value. Also it turns out
it's just not nessesary.
Mark Rabiner
Your prints need to be free!