Subject: Re: [Leica] archeival mounting
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 17:50:54 +0000

You don't mention the type of print paper you're mounting. While
I'll generally fire up the drymount press for fiber-based b&w paper,
I have (in a hurry and with a flat print) also successfully used
adhesive backed tissue hinges in a window mat and do take that
approach for the few color prints I mount. Lineco's mounting/hinging
tissue is the stuff I use, and it should be readily found in a decent
art supply store or by mail from places like Light Impressions or
University Products in the US. This is truly archival because the
process is reversible.

I have a sample of - but have not yet tried - Crescent's "Acid-Free
Perfect Mount Self-Adhesive Mounting Board." As the name suggests,
one side is coated with an adhesive which allows repositioning.
Pressure is applied for 12-24 hours to set the mount.

You can also use a steam iron to drymount a print with a tissue such
as Seal Color Mount. Ansel Adams described the procedure in "The
Print." I've done it. It's a pain.

Roy