Subject: Re: [Leica] Raising the bar, again
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:45:46 -0800

David W. Almy wrote:

> I'll stick with my manual focus stuff regardless, but would augment it
> with AF where necessary. Bouncing boats probably is one of the "where
> necessaries."

David,
Having some experience shooting from bouncing boats, I can tell you that
AF is most difficult--primarily because it is difficult to keep the
focus spot on the place you want focused.  Using a gyro really helps to
smooth the motion out so you can keep the framing.  I have found that
using AF from a bouncing boat to mostly frustrating.  This is especially
true with using super telephoto lenses because the motion is magnified.
The IS in the new Canon should help.  The 500 and 600 mm lenses are so
heavy that an external gyro doesn't have the power to do much.  The
whole business is really a skill development exercise.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego