Subject: RE: [Leica] Canon really has AF figured out...
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 07:25:00 +0200

Henry,

My experience with the R range is very recent: last December I traded in a
very nice and efficient F90x/FM2 based system + 645 Fuji + money against a
lonely R8+100mm apo-macro. The shop has lent me 'long term' a battered 50mm
summicron.

I use the 'system' mainly for paid illustration work (handheld pictures of
the corporate managers I interview as a journalist). I use a full M system
for almost all of my other photography.

Based on this short period of time, narrow application and very reduced
system, I'm happy to share with you the following facts/opinions:

- - There is no visible consistent progress in the quality of my illustration
work compared to what I got through my Nikon system;
- - The few times I actually did tripod  macro work with Velvia stock, I got
outrageously nice slides;
- - The same for a few formal portrait sessions on Reala and CN400 stock: the
imaging qualities are extremely rewarding;
- - The handling and balance of the R8 and the 2 lenses is superb: this is
certainly the most ergonomic and pleasant SLR I've ever used. I use it with
and without winder, and it is a smooth, vibration-free, well balanced ride.
The build quality of those R items is wonderful;
- - Although the ergonomy and automation functionalities are of a very high
level, I cannot get the R system to behave like a high productivity 'point
and shoot' system (à la F90x+SB28). In some cases I feel this is a
handicap. Funnily enough I find the M6 is faster to boot in many
situations. I guess ground glass focusing requires a little too much effort
in this day and age;
- - The horrifying price level of the new lenses (180mm f2.8 apo, 50mm
summilux, f2.8 zooms, etc) is, for me, a frustrating deterrent;
- - The constant talk (corroborated by Solms figures) about the very bad
sales of the R system makes me hesitate to invest any further: I'm scared
of the temptation Leica might have to gradually discontinue the line, and
I'm not too confident in the future resale value of R hardware (life has
those twists that justify keeping an eye on that issue).

So, my advice to you really depends on your level of wealth. If you have
the means, jump on the R8 and the main lenses of the newest generation.
You'll own the best quality and most enjoyable SLR outfit in the world
today. And keep your Nikon AF system for those occasions where you need or
want to shoot real fast.

If your means make this difficult, I do not think it would be a good idea
to trade in your current system for a R8 on which you'd have to attach
older generation used lenses...

Alan