Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: New Leica's, fashion show and flashes (long)
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 10:31:12 -0700

K Bookan wrote:

> >what it may mean is that, in addition to ttl flash capabilities, the new
> >camera will feature other technological 'niceties' of the 'auto' variety:
> >auto film rewinding, perhaps even autofocus and/or exposure. on a
> >positive note, this will make all previous m6s more collectible still,
> >whether they be pandas, antelopes, or what-have-you.
>
> I don't mean to flame, but if these are the features anyone is looking
> for, the canons, nikons, minoltas,etc. are the solutions. For decades, the
> crown jewel of Leica M series has been its simplicity yet elegance. If
> someday leica really goes with features such as auto focus, that would be
> death of Leica. Leica can never compete on the level with comes out of
> Japan.
>
> As most of you know, good photos have nothing to do with having gizmos in
> the camera. Leicas were built as a reliable tool to make good photos.
> Enhancements in design are good, but auto focus?! That's step backward for
> leica. Remember, Leica invented the auto focus and abandoned it because it
> was unreliable, and it still is. I once cared about gizmos
> in my camera, but I have been enlightened sin
> ce...:-)
>
> koorus

Don't forget about all those Minilux type camera's with the Leica emblem
on it made by the same people who make them for everyone else. In some
respect a Contax G3 is just an interchangeable lensed quality version of
one of those point and shoots and they in effect the type of camera
which everyone here seems to want Leica to make. I don't think it's a
big jump. Minolta made the CL and CLE for Leica before they've learned a
few things about micromotors since. Or Someone else.
So Leica can continue doing what it does best; turn out quality glass
and their quality low tech camera: The M6. And OK the R8/9.
Mark Rabiner
Leica isn't going to make them, someone else will, put a red dot on it
and everyone will be happy.
I'll continue using my M6 which I walked 6 miles with last night, half
the time barely knowing I had it with me. But one of the "Galleries" I
visited had a fashion show going and it turned out I knew many of the
key people. They needed shots and I had my camera with me and 2 rolls of
Tri X. While others were using flash I had the semi professional pseudo
paparazzi all psyched out with my flexibility, mobility and taped over
red dot. The best shots at this mini event were coming from me. A few
key people other than me thought so that I think would be shelling out
for some expensive fiber prints. (As that's all I make) IF not I had
fun, great hair, some beutiful girls and some nice dresses. I have some
nice shots for my walls/book.
Mark Rabiner
I got into the dressing rooms and the whole bit.
My 50mm Sumicron was on my camera. Two other M6's were actually there.
My friend with his chrome 35 on his camera and chrome Leica flash and a
fellow I met who had the new  lowslung Metz 20 something on his camera
which I felt outclassed the Leica flash for one forth the change.
Neither 3 cameras were TTL.