Subject: [Leica] 35mm SUMMILUX-M ASPH
From: s.barrett@usa.net
Date: 3 Jun 99 23:04:28 MDT

HELP PLEASE!!! I ordered a used 35mm Summilux-M ASPH from Brooklyn Camera
Exchange that they represented as being in mint condition. When I received it
tonight, I noticed the front part of the lens can be moved around slightly. It
is as if the glass part of the lens is loose from the focusing part. You can
see the rear element move along with the front part but the focus ring and DOF
part remain stable. Also, when the lens is mounted on the camera at the very
bottom there is a pin inside at the edge where the glass meets the metal. When
held at an angle, it appears as if the area around this pin is chipped. I can
also see a few bubbles around the inside of the lens element. Not in the glass
but perhaps where the glass is mounted to a metal surface. Anyway, I have
never seen an example of this lens and was wondering if anyone who owns one
could comment on what I've described. I can't imagine the lens would focus
accurately if the glass elements change in relation to the film plane. Anybody
know if this is an easy repair and the expense involved? If I press the front
part of the lens down it seems to eliminate the play. Perhaps something just
needs to be tightened???Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I got the
lens at a great price, but perhaps I should just return it for a refund.Please
respond to my e-mail: s.barrett@usa.net             Thanks!