Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: a question of perspective
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 14:07:44 -0700

Ken Wilcox wrote:

> It sound to me as though you are shooting with the verticals allighned but
> with the the camera at an angle to the subject in the hoizontal plane. To
> avoid any convergence the camera must be centered on the object both
> vertically and horizontally.
>
> If the object were a door, for example, the lens must be perpendicular to
> the plane of the door. Or don't I understand the question?
>
> Ken Wilcox
>
> At 09:55 AM 6/3/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >dear lugnuts,
> >
> >i have a perspective question: though far from being an actual
> >architectural photographer, i must admit a certain fondness for the nooks
> >and crannies i encounter in my various ramblings. i have, on occasion, made
> >pictures of an attractive doorway or stairwell, courtyard or terrace, and
> >generally attempt to frame my shots using the brightlines as horizontal and
> >vertical guides. here is my question: why is it, when looking through the
> >viewfinder and aligning the wall/door frame/etc. with the vertical
> >brightline, the horizontal brightline runs at an angle to the floor/foot of
> >the wall/etc, though these latter items are indeed at a strict right angle
> >to the wall. if i frame the shot using the horizontal brightline, the same
> >thing happens to the vertical brightline, it will appear at an angle in
> >relation to the wall/doorframe/etc. i use a 50 and a 35 summicron (so it is
> >not a question of 'barrel' or other distortion). does anyone know why this
> >happens?
> >
> >thanks.
> >
> >guy
<snip>
Reading a "how to use your view camera" booklet will give you the
perspective on perspective. Or an Art course. I think I understand it,
here it is:
Your camera needs to first be level especially left to right. That will
make it level with the horizon.
If you are then pointing your camera at all up or down so that the
horizon though level is higher or lower than the middle of your image
your vertical's will converge, they will not be parallel with your black
borders or the edges of your print. But If your horizon was centered as
well as level you should not be getting any convergence.
Mark Rabiner
But you made need a superwide to get your subject in the frame!