Subject: Re: [Leica] Freedom of expression and responsibility
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 21:23:09 -0700

DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:

> Truth is an absolute defense to libel and slander suits.  However, the
> following post  that appeared today certainly supports the problems that the
> "cheerleaders" wish no one would discuss:
>
> "I bought a new M6 body from Don Chatterton a few weeks ago. As I was about
snip Stuff happens and all that but for an 1800.00 camera body
> to be unusable right out of the box is very disappointing Maybe that guy
> that screwed up the pressure plates got promoted to final inspection."
>
> I rest my case!

I thought I read that "Truth" had little to do with it but "intent" was
the major issue. If you intend to harm someone you can use truth or
fiction but you have intended harm and done so. I think this is the US.
In Britain ones "name" is a bigger deal and Libel easier to prove. Ring
a bell? This is only from memory and not my field so the issue would be
to clarify. I beg to be corrected.
I'm sure some of this type of discussion is good for our list
photography being an freedom of expression issue. Not too much of a stretch.
Mark Rabiner