Subject: Re: [Leica] Freedom of expression and responsibility
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:36:50 -0700

>>As there is probably no precedent for trying to prove a libel or some
such case against a discussion in a Email list or even a newsgroup that
makes it hard to determine.<<

Libel in a setting like the LUG is distinctly different than the First
Amendment. Again, the First Amendment, like the other components of the Bill
of Rights, protect the individual against government action - not private
action. The only First Amendment rights present on the LUG (applying to
those who are posting from within the U.S.) are to be free from government
regulation. This, of course, assumes that the subject of your communication
is one which has First Amendment protection.

Libel and slander laws are changing because of the changing media of
communication. My guess is that forums like the LUG are more likely to give
rise to slander than libel. But these are areas of civil liability, not
criminal.

Bryan