Subject: [Leica] Re: Air Show Photography
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 16:29:48 -0400

Date line: Monday, May 31, 1999

Happy Memorial Day Holiday to the U.S. LUGgers and anyone else who wants
to be included.  From the Paxuxent River Naval Air Station Air Show
(southern Maryland) on Saturday, just got back eight rolls of 200 ASA
Royal Gold and 160 NC Portra Kodak prints, five of 36 exposures and
three of 24 exposures.  The Confederate Air Force was there with a B-25
Mitchell, a B-17G Flying Fortress, and a F-4F Wildcat. The B-17G was
used in the film the "Memphis Belle."

An outstanding world class glider pilot, Manfred Radius
(German-Canadian), with a H-101 Salto aerobatics sailplane gave an
unbelievable demonstration. I have a photo of him cutting a ribbon
across the runway with the canopy of the Salto, with the Salto inverted
(upside down), at twenty-two feet in height! The photo is Right On, yes!

The lens of choice was a lens that I have not used that much, a f4.8
280mm Telyt (1969)(removable lens head 11904) fitted to a Televit rapid
focus mount and Telyt shoulder stock (Type I) on both the R7 and R5 --
HAND HELD.  See, latest Vol. II, J. Lager, Leica An Illustrated History,
at p. 218 and 224 for lens and stock. The day was perfect for aerial
shooting -- clear with no clouds.  The sun was high over my right
shoulder at the beginning of the shot.  I used the Telyt mostly at f8,
aperature preferred with a shutter speed of 1/750 to 1/1000.  Damn,
after seeing those frames made with the 280mm I have to question why I
have not used that lens more.

With the Patuxent River Air Search and Rescue Team, I got a great series
of full frame shots of the PJ (jumper) being lowered down on "the wire"
(cable) to the ground for a pick up of a "survivor."  Another great
series of shots was of a husband and wife team using their '43 Stearman
to "wing walk."  Jane Wicker is the wing walker and the Wickers have
their home base at the Bealton, VA, air show.

Of course, the Navy Blue Angels in their F/A-18 Hornets performed, four
in the delta formation and two solo planes.  I have some "knock them
dead" shots, both on the ground (ground crew and aircraft) and then in
the air of the Blue Angels performing.  With the 280mm I was able to
fill about a quarter to one-half of the frame with the full aircraft in
the air. Also lugged my 2X R lens extender along with my M6, the f1.4
ASPH Summilux and the f2.8 135mm Tele-Elmarit.  The M system did not get
used.  Used the R Motor Drive on one roll, but preferred "pumping the
advance lever," and the lighter set up to rapidly frame.

I really should have tried the 2X R, but I was afraid that I would not
be able to hand hold it at 560mm, even with the Televit mount and
shoulder stock.  Prior to the air show and with the 280mm, it was my
thinking that I would get one good frame out of four due to the panning
motion and general operator error in hand holding with the Televit grip
and shoulder support stock. I had two (2) bad frames out of the eight
rolls!  Over half of the photos are spectacular with the exposure for
the aircraft right on and the action where it should be, the rest are
more than acceptable and would crop fine.  I tried the Bogen Monopod
early on in the shoot. It was a pain in the "kester" (bum).  After about
three frames it went back in the bag; you couldn't go vertically with it
(at least without practice).

Next time, my air show rig will be the f4.8 280mm Telyt with the R
Televit Rapid Focus and shoulder stock, the 2X (I will try it with a
faster film -- 400NC Portra), the f2.8 100mm APO (people shots) and the
R5 and R7 -- without question.  All in all it was a great day of Leica
shooting.  The f4.8 280mm even got lightly polished before I put that
lens in its drawer.

Have a Good Day,

Bill Caldwell
Northern Virginia