Subject: Re: [Leica] Gray Dot On Lens Case Bottoms
From: "Guido Soprano" <guidosoprano@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 15:16:38 EDT

Dear DanCxxxx

Politefully I beg to trash your opinion, and, insidiously, you.

Close, but no cigar. It is where Leica beaniebabies put a checkmark to
confirm that the lens is up to the standards of the 1950's. Ever see a case
with such markings? I think not. (et aussi je cherche M. R. Descartes)

Plus, if a Canadian pen was EVER used to put the mark, two things result.
First, the lens is guaranteed not to work, and second, the value to
collectors is one bazillion (+/- depends on if the pen was black or chrome)
times greater than if the pen was German.

Never, ever, use a lens without a check-marked case.

I have it on good authority from a Solmsian insider that new management
techniques are being put in place to catch the renegades who attempt to
produce functioning equipment, and to immediately banish them to Pressure
Plate Cave, where they must use only the smoothest parts of their bodies.

Non-photographers writing the lens focal length on the dot are on the right
track, tho'. "What lens shall I extract too late to take this picture?" It's
a good job they do this, otherwise they'd just pull the lens right out of
their pocket or bag, get the image (in their mind), and then be totally
disappointed when they saw the results produced by the current coke-bottle
lenses.

Let's campaign for the gray to change to Red. That'll make the lenses much
more collectable.

Did I make it to anyone's (uv?) filter list?

Guido the unrepentant