Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: A day on the Farm with Elmo and the killer llamas.
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 12:10:41 -0700

Yesterday, Sunday, a repeating client, an actress/model invited my wife
and dog and I could come along with my Leica M system to her farm. The
farm or ranch is an hour south of Portland Oregon in wine country as it
is now called. Besides five dogs (most elderly) her family has cats,
horses and llamas.
My 98 pound German Shepard, Elmo has never run free and the question was
would he disturb the delicate balance of animal etiquette/power on the farm/ranch.
The minute we drove up the llamas called a meeting. There was a predator
on the premises. I have had no experience with llamas. They are like
smaller furrier camels. Or larger bumpier sheep. Quite animated in their
facial expressions. Beautiful as well as funny.
They came right up to the house and wanted to meet Elmo. They wanted to
take Elmo on a short ride on a long trail. (with no trial)
At one point Elmo broke away and was circling or herding the llamas I
was informed that the llamas were certainly going to certainly kill Elmo
as they easily killed whole packs of Wolves. And there was a dog inside
the house with his front teeth missing.
Well we all survived with all our teeth and everyone got along happily
and I shot a roll of Tri X of the idyllic and animated circumstances.
Nice conversation, beautiful kids.
I ate three hamburgers and got sunburnt.
Mark Rabiner