Subject: Re: [Leica] Freedom of expression and responsibility
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 09:25:38 -0400

 Erwin-
I didn't clip your post, because it was so long, but any reader of this
missive would do well to go back and read your post in its entirety! While I
can't comprehend 75% of what you write about lenses at first reading, you do
us a great service with your methodic and careful analyses!
If you don't do this for a living, I have a feeling that you are working in
the same mindset of earlier scientists- Maxwell, Faraday, Galileo, et al,
nonetheless. Your love of truth and knowledge is much to our benefit! If you
do do this sort of thing as a profession, then go home to continue your
analyses of Lenses for your and our edification, then you are to be
commended for your love of the scientific method!
A friend said to me that my attitude was strange since I was so much a fan
of the old LTM cameras! My reply was that even with that love of the "OLD
STUFF", I appreciate the inroads in optical design being made everyday, and
that I thought Erwin's study to be a valuable adjunct to the ever growing
base of man's knowledge, and it made more sense than hearing about about
scientists striving to get grants to study the mating and nurturing habits
of ring-tailed wombats. ( No offence to any LUGger studying Ring-Tailed
Wombats, but we all have areas of knowledge that pique our curiosity. That
same subjectivity that makes some of use prefer single malts, and others
Bourbon and branch water, or even just the branch water!)
Erwin, you are like that little voice that sits on our shoulders, and speaks
words of reason into our ears- words like, "You better not buy that 21 ASPH
or She Who Must Be Obeyed will be hyper-pissed!"
Some of us listen... and some of us don't!
Dan