Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: "demos"
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:15:44 EDT

In a message dated 5/29/99 9:06:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
horst.schmidt@actek.com.au writes:

<<
 I am also curious, why you have the need to query the existence on the LUG,
of the
 people who voice an opinion opinion, which at the time, is not 150%
favorable to
 Leica. >>

Good Morning, Horst:

Thanks for the note.

These defensive posts prove the genius of our ancestors who saw the need to
develop a constitution prohibiting some from stifling the thoughts and speech
of others with whom they did not agree.  The need in some to control others
is so strong they will use the power of government to chill speech which
effectively controls thought in the long run.  We experience that human
tendency to control thought and speech every day on the LUG board.  Just
imagine how pervasive and dangerous it would be if the subject matter were
something that really mattered such as freedom rather than a camera system
that appears to serve as a status symbol to many as well as a wonderful tool
of expression itself.

The problems with present day Leica have been expressed by numerous
individuals on the board which sets off a conflagration as if someone had
stuck their finger in an ant hill.  It is almost as if someone had expressed
an unfavorable opinion about a corporation in which these defenders owned
stock and the shareholder did not wish to see the image of his or her
investment tarnished.

Contrary to what Jim has suggested, I do own and have owned Leica M cameras
and lenses for over 40 years and the Leica reflex cameras since the Leicaflex
was introduced.  I have counted the M-3's and the various lenses as friends
over the years, especially those made by the Leitz family.  Now, with the
problems and new policies of the "corporation" questions beg to be raised and
when they come to mind and I have the inclination, I will express my thoughts
regardless of the efforts to silence them.  So far the questions have not
received any answer which suggests there are problems but heads are sticking
in the sand with you know what showing.  The response has been nothing but
personal attacks.  The Leica historians who are on the board should be able
to cite factory statistics to show how present day Leica is doing in regard
to precision and quality control versus what it did 10-20-30 years ago.  So
far, I have not heard a single LUGGER suggest that the M-6 is built to higher
tolerances and precision than the M-3's and M-4's of 30 and 40 years ago.

It has been my view that progress is made by carefully examining a product
and improving upon it rather than with a view to reducing its quality so it
may be made more cheaply which in most instance results in a less well made
product.  Unless those who post on the board are off base, that is what has
happened to the M series camera.  There was even a post that one of the
independent repair persons was concerned with the present day quality.
Certainly the M-6 I purchased new was so poorly manufactured that the
pressure plate scratched film.  That is a simple part that even a 9th grade
shop student could produce to acceptable  finish and tolerances.  Some of the
LUG board members advised that happened because someone was ill and the
replacement was not capable.  That was truly a feeble excuse not befitting a
precision manufacturing concern since quality control is employed to
guarantee the finished product meets minimum manufacturing tolerances by
catching defects produced by the person producing the part.  The LUGGERS
whose only defense is that other manufacturers do not have enviable quality
control records just dumbs down the process so it is acceptable for a
manufacturer to sell goods that exhibit more errors than previously.  If
Leica users demand excellence, they will receive it, if they do not so
demand, the quality of the product will fall to their acceptance level.

LUG posting members have even said that they are now checking the merchandise
before leaving the shop with it.  This is certainly something that was
unnecessary during the Leitz days.

Hey; I love this give and take!  I notice one of the LUGGERS was so excited
by what someone had to say he actually challenged the person to a fight.
Must have been a big stick he stuck in the guy's ant hill.

Critical? Yeah, I am critical but when a company holds itself out as the
preeminent manufacturer of the highest quality camera and optical goods, they
leave a lot of room for close examination, especially when we still have
products of the Leitz family to compare with the present production.

The water bath should have the chemicals down to 70 deg. F so another session
may get started.

Thanks again for the support to speak out.