Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: "demos"
From: "ross mcleish" <cram@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:21:38 +1000

Jim wrote:

> I know for a fact that quite often, absolutely brand new, never opened,
never used equipment, > is sold as demo.
> ....passing up a "demo" sale, sometimes, is like shooting yourself in the
foot.

>> I couldn't agree with you more, Jim! I too, have purchased so-called
'demo' equipment (R6.2 body and 50/f2 lens) with full warranty etc (and no
problems what-so-ever).
When I mentioned the D word with my dealer, he admitted that actually the
camera had never been out of the show case (except to dust it
occasionally!). It was stock  that had been sitting there for a while (along
with M6-pre TTL, 70-180 APO, R8 body etc....) and it seems to be a case of
'house-cleaning' to list as 'demo' and at the same time justify a
significant discount. We have a 32% tax here (as mentioned several times by
other sufferers!), and the deal got me into a great camera system -- I never
looked back,  and all my other lens have been 'pre-loved' so I don't really
know where/what/how they came to the market -- I just use them and enjoy
them!
Ross