Subject: [Leica] Operating instructions for the IIIf
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 10:21:28 -0000

Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be> wrote:

>My new IIIf just arrived from the Leica Shop in Vienna, along with a
3.5
Elmar. Unfortunately, I still have not gotten hold of a manual

>I am hunting around for the Hove manual reprint

Nathan,

Congratulations on your IIIf purchase! Having recently bought a
pre-war Contax, I can understand your concern at not having
instructions. (Luckily I've been able to find a copy of the mid-1950s
book "The Contax Way".)

You will find the Hove reprint a most useful answer to most questions
regarding your IIIf.  (I have a standard email reply listing the Hove
reprints which I keep on the hard disk and send off whenever I see a
"newbie" asking for help with on older Leica.)  Hove also reprint the
Leitz 1931 catalogue, which gives a great description many of the
older accessories - it's fun to read.

I've got a second source of information which might help you - an old
mid-1950s copy of the Morgan and Lester "Leica Manual". This used to
be the classic textbook on the Leica, and has a section on how to use
the IIIf.

When I get some spare time this weekend, I'll use my scanner to
capture these instructions, then email these to you. I can send JPEG
graphics of the individual pages, a Microsoft Word 6.0/Wordpad
document complete with embedded  pics, or a plain text file (without
pics). Let me know which format you prefer.

This book is long out of print, and I think copyright law allows the
copying of a limited number of pages from a book for research and
educational purposes, a clause which I think should cover it. We're
only talking about six pages or so, plus one or two more for the flash
synchronising dial information.

If any other screw Leica owner would like a copy of these
instructions, email me privately and let me know which format you
require.

I have a number of Leica books of different vintages ranging from 1935
onwards, so if anyone is stuck for instructions for a specific item of
older hardware, email me privately, and I'll scan the appropriate page
and send it as a JPEG graphic. I can't promise a swift response,
however. Deadlines often keep me busy for weeks on end...

Regards,

Doug Richardson