Subject: [Leica] Re: Filters and Shades
From: "Aubin" <aubin@aa.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 23:12:08 -0700

Just my $.02 from the shadows, but when it comes to filters
I think of them as one more tool.  Use it only when its right for
the job.

To protect the lens, use the lens cap.  Or just be careful where
you expose the camera, so as to protect the glass from rocks,
sand, sea water, etc.  Clean the glass as needed, often if
necessary, it wont hurt it if you do it reasonably properly (ie. sand
paper is a poor choice, burlap not much better).

FWIW:
The B+W KR1.5 is a UV filter with about 200K warming, which
makes it wonderful when using Astia for portraits, or when the
shot just needs a touch more warming.

It should go without saying that a polarizer is just right for
some uses, but it is a pain to use on the M cameras!

A set including light green, blue, and a yellow, orange and red
filter are probably very useful one time or another for B&W work,
and the B+W 060 light green/yellow is handy for some B&W
portraiture work.

Color correction filters of high quality can be very important
when dealing with florescent light, tungsten light, or even
day light under extreme conditions, ie. high altitude.

To get hung up on the no-filter or the always-filter school of
thought is to close ones mind to the real issue, making the
picture.  Anyone who has developed their own film knows that
there is no such thing as one film speed, or contrast, and that
everything in the photographic process is subject to manipulation
and interpretation.  Such is true with filters too.

The salient point is to get the best damn filters you can get for
the best damn lenses in the world, use them when your judgement
or intent call for them, and ignore the people who disagree
with your choices.

When my audience views my pictures, they don't ask me if
I followed someone else's advice about filters, they look at the
image I show them and judge it accordingly.

Let your images represent your view, and devil take the rest.

Norm

p.s. - to the gang of five (four with Eric on TDY): thanks guys!
you make this fun.

p.p.s - Ted - happy birthday!  I've got Talisker in hand, and
salute you!  The local Liquor shop was sold out of Lagavulin;
seems I'm the only guy in this hamlet who buys it so they
keep little around!   8^(     Oh well, when its replenished I'll
salute you again!

p.p.p.s - Tina - keep it up, you bring joy and light to this list.

and finally - to all of you - squabbles included, you guys prove
once again, this is a great family of talented people who
have much to share, and do so with great generosity.
Thanks for being here and sharing!