Subject: [Leica] Re: Using the Elmarit-M 24 without aux finder
From: "Aubin" <aubin@aa.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 20:33:05 -0700

Jim,

I've been using the 24mm since December, when I traded my 28 in for it.
I've found that the viewfinder does an adequate job of letting you see to
the edges, but not a perfect job.  I wear glasses, but find that the problem
is
really one of holding the camera steady enough or me to really evaluate the
edges for framing and intrusions.  I spend a lot of time looking at the
edges,
sometimes.  When I'm reasonably sure of the edges, given the scene, its
very quick and convenient to use the viewfinder to center, focus, re-frame,
and shoot.

I think that the idea of bouncing back and forth to meter and focus, then
compose in the aux-viewfinder would probably become easy enough, but
for now it seems that this is adequate, and several hundred dollars cheaper.

Frankly, convenience also plays a part, I hate dealing with dangly breakable
things hanging off the camera, and hate removing it and storing it while I
change lenses.  Given the 24 on the camera, and the 50mm f/2 in the pocket,
along with a few rolls of film, I'm traveling light.  If I have to add in
the viewfinder,
and handle it and etc. etc., the convenience level goes down one more notch.

Fact is, I'm seeing why some folks just put on a 35mm and grab a few extra
rolls of film.  Its about as fuss free as you can get!

I thought seriously about getting rid of my new 24/50/90 and settling in on
just
a 35 f/1.4 and 75 f/1.4, but theres no way I could part with these lenses, I
have
them, they're paid for, I wouldn't want to be without them, so I'll just
have to get
the afore-mentioned pair for available darkness work when I'm wealthy!

Look at your own shooting style, and subjects.  If the convenience and the
actual area shown in the viewfinder support what you're doing, then I'd say
forego it, after all, it can be purchased separately at any time.

Hows that for a long winded, but at least on-topic answer!

Norm

p.s. - this lens (the 24mm) is one kick ass piece of glass!!!!!!!!